History of the Parish

The Church of the Holy Spirit was established on August 2, 1998 by Bishop Eugene and Father H Setter was appointed founding Pastor. Shortly after the parish was established, leadership teams were formed and various organizations and ministries were established.

The parish utilized the existing farmhouse on the property for office space. The bedrooms were converted into offices and meeting rooms. The living room was used for a daily Mass chapel. Sunday Masses were celebrated at the Goddard High School Auditorium. As organizations developed we used other public spaces for meetings and events.

On March 25, 2001, we broke ground on the first phase of our Master Plan for the facility. It was completed and blessed on December 1st by Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted. Included in this first phase is a church and school that will be modified back to its original plan as future phases take place. The church portion of the building is actually the gathering space of the future church. It will seat approximately 600 people. The school portion of the building has an office and nine classrooms. In the corridor area of the first phase is a sacristy, reconciliation room, hospitality area, two social hall rooms, a bride's room and a Blessed Sacrament Chapel.

Father Joseph M. Gile was appointed Pastor in June 2007. Unfortunately the Bishop assigned him to Newman University in May 2008. We were blessed at that time with Father Michael E. Nolan, previously at St. John's in El Dorado and St. Annes in Wichita.

In August 2009, we opened up Preschool for ages 3-5. This has been very successful, and we feel blessed to have the space to accommodate these children.

When the entire project is completed after additional phases, we will have a church that seats 1500 people, a school with two rooms per grade K-8, a gymnasium, and a large social hall.